Picking the Perfect Flooring for Kids and Pets
- You'll need a carpet that can stand up to years for rough use.
- Look for an option with plenty of cushioning in case of falls.
- Nylon Carpeting is an ideal choice in homes with kids and pets.
- Berber Carpeting made with fiber loops, is ideal of high-traffic areas
- Some types of tile can scratch or chip relatively easily, so research your options.
- Porcelain tile comes in a range of colors and designs, and is very durable.
- If you want natural stone tile, slate is highly resilient option.
- Choosing large tile will minimize grout lines, making cleaning easier.
- Hardwood floors can work well in homes with kids and pets if properly sealed.
- Wood species vary in hardness and density, so some options are made more durable than others.
- Ideal species for homes with kids and pets include hickory, oak, and Brazilian walnut
- Hardwood floor can be refinished to hide wear and tear.
- Laminate flooring gives the appearance of hardwood with less upkeep and greater durability.
- Not all laminate floors are created equal - entry-level options aren't ideal for kids and pets
- Choose a high quality laminate that is rated to withstand heavy traffic.
- Consider laminate with a textured finish for better slip-resistance.
- Bamboo Flooring looks like wood and is incredibly resistant to stains and scratches
- Cork Flooring provides better cushioning than wood and can withstand wear and tear.
- Rubber Tile is a fun, durable option that's ideal for play areas and mud rooms.